Fashion advice, especially to someone as vulnerable as teenage girls, is something that can go disastrously wrong if one does not know what they’re talking about. And it has been known to happen so don’t judge me for being a little too condescending about it. Fashion as I see it, and as I’m sure many, many girls all around the world see it, is a matter of self-confidence seasoned with a bit of creative thinking and a lot of resourcefulness. You don’t have to own every latest piece of clothing that has walked a ramp to be well-dressed and presentable. That’s one major piece of advice that is underused; by those dishing out the advice and the ones receiving it. In this article, there are some basic tips to ensure that you have an all-season wardrobe. So get ready for a wardrobe upheaval that does not necessarily involve super-expensive couture.
Fashion Tips for Teenage Girls
When it comes to styling teenage girls, one needs to be overly cautious. It’s not just about making the girl wear the latest clothes. It’s about helping her to identify with her inner self and recognize what is going to help her enhance her best features. Just giving a girl a lecture about what you think is the best for her is not enough. She should be able to relate to what you’re saying. You need to put yourself in their place, but advice them from the point of view of a person who will be looking at them (literally). So, let’s check out some very simple and (un)fortunately cliché fashion advice that teenage girls can benefit from.
Stick to Basics
What goes into having a perfect wardrobe that boasts of something nice to wear during every season? What do you need to lay the foundation of a wardrobe so awesome, that you don’t need to spend hours agonizing over the dreaded ‘what to wear’ question? It’s the basics! Or essentials if you will. Honestly, there is nothing more simple to understand than the ‘stick to basics’ philosophy. So what do the basics encompass? Here’s a list of some of the items, whose importance and contribution to your wardrobe you should NEVER underestimate.
- Well Fitting Jeans: If you haven’t come across a girl who wears jeans that are either so tight they threaten to explode, or so loose they look like they’re hung on a hanger, then you live in a perfect world. I am yet to find a dictionary in which the word ‘fitting’ means ‘extra-tight-to-the-point-of-tearing-if-worn-when-seated’. Girls, we know you’re at an age when the first and last thing on your mind is how you look. So please, refrain from wearing jeans that are too snug or too loose. Flaunt your body, but do it with dignity.
- Tops: T-shirts, tanks, spaghetti straps, the world is your oyster! You need to have these in strong colors that will complement your skin tone and your body type. Do not go in for an ill-fitting top. Your upper body needs to breathe, so you need to have something that will facilitate this basic necessity of life. At the same time, having just sweatshirts and loose tees will take away the femininity from your wardrobe. Include smart button-down shirts, some girly tops, and classy jackets in neutral colors for the winters.
- Skirts and Shorts: If you know how to look good in shorts, then nothing should stop you from flaunting your legs in the summer. Follow the cardinal rule of not too tight, not too loose for them as well. If you’re more of a ‘girly’ girl, then you need a collection of pretty skirts in varying lengths: short, medium, and long. You can team the extremely short ones with leggings, wear the medium ones as they are and heavily accessorize with the long ones for an ultra-chic Boho look!
- Shoes: You need comfortable footwear for every season. For the summer, flip-flops, slippers, thongs work well. For the winter, go with closed shoes like flat pumps or boots. Don’t wear extremely high heels. They could lead to other problems later on. For the monsoon, you can have a cute pair of rainy boots.
- Accessories: There is no shortage of accessories for teens. There are so many stores that are bursting with stuff that you can accessorize with. But what you need always is some nice belts, scarves, a nice pair of eye/sunglasses, some simple jewelry and a perfect attitude to match them.
Once you have the basics of your wardrobe covered, the rest is just psychological.
You must have heard this a million times, but that does not dilute its importance. You need to be absolutely comfortable in what you’re wearing. Else, all the ‘advice’ given above or in any other forum that you may read might as well be tossed out the window. Let’s put it this way. You like this boy at school and you want to look nice for him. You can dress up in trendy clothes but if half of your attention is focused on whether your skirt is too short or your shirt is too transparent, it’s going to show on your face, or worse in that oh-so-interesting conversation about dissecting a cockroach that you were having with him. Take it from someone who’s had such unfortunate encounters as an adolescent, it will scar you for the rest of the week, if not for life!
You need to be smart to dress smart. Which means that limited wardrobe though you may have (and it’s always limited for girls, isn’t it?), learn to be creative and experiment with everything you already own. With the basics mentioned above, you will never run out of ideas to dress yourself, for any season and any occasion. You just need to be perfectly aware of what is going to complement your body type well. When in doubt, change. You are the best judge of what you look like. It’s perfectly alright to take a risk with fashion trends once in a while, but if you seriously doubt the way you look in a particular outfit, either get an opinion from someone who can be completely honest with you or just change!
The last and parting fashion advice that can be shared with teenagers is be confident. If you’re experimenting with a new look and are sure about yourself when you look in the mirror, take that confidence with you wherever you go. Confidence is infectious. You never know, you might end up being the sparkling diva of teen fashion and have others swarming around you!